You have just discovered that Dad will need knee replacement surgery. You’ve heard a little bit about what this could involve from a friend who has been through it, but are you actually ready to help him prepare for the surgery and recuperate safely and fully afterwards?
Millions of people have joint replacement surgery every year. Fortunately, even though it can be intimidating to face, the resulting relief from pain and usually quick recovery will soon have your loved one back on their feet.
Joint Replacement Questions to Ask Before Surgery
It may feel overwhelming to try to absorb all of the details the doctor will provide ahead of the procedure. The simplest way to be sure you have all of the important information is by making a list of questions you would like the doctor to answer. Even this task can feel overwhelming, however, but don’t worry – our care team has prepared a list of common joint replacement questions for you!
Copy any relevant questions from the list below, and then add in any others you may have:
- Is it recommended that my loved one lose weight or make any other changes in lifestyle?
- Are there preparations we should make to the home for a safer recovery?
- What exercises can be started now to strengthen muscles?
- Is it necessary to go to a rehab facility for recovery, or can my loved one recover at home with help?
- How soon will my loved one have the ability to shower?
- How long will the surgery last?
- What type of medical equipment or supplies will be helpful?
- How long is the typical hospital stay?
- Is it useful to begin practicing walking with a walker or cane ahead of the procedure?
- When can regular activities resume?
- What type of anesthesia is typically used, and are there options available?
- Are there any medications that should be stopped or started ahead of the procedure?
- What are the risks of joint replacement surgery?
- What specific instructions are there for the day of the surgery?
- How much pain will be experienced following the surgery, and what types of pain relief are available?
- What results should be expected for someone of my parent’s age and with their health conditions?
Recovering After Joint Replacement Surgery
Making a plan now for a loved one’s recovery will likely make the transition home from the hospital smoother and easier. At Home With You Senior Care, we are here to help with post-surgical home care services that relieve some of the stress surrounding a hospitalization. For instance, we are able to:
- Monitor for changes in condition or medication side effects and report them immediately
- Provide transportation and accompaniment to and from the hospital
- Encourage participation in physician-approved exercises and provide transportation to PT appointments
- Offer companionship for conversations and enjoyable pastimes during recovery
- Take care of picking up groceries and prescriptions and run any other errands needed
- Provide medication reminders so meds are taken as prescribed
- Help with transfers and mobility, showers/baths, and other personal care needs to lower the risk of a fall
- Prepare nutritious meals
- Take care of light housekeeping and laundry
- And much more
You can reach us any time at 410-756-0959 or online to find out more about how we can ease a surgical procedure, before, during, and after, for someone you love. Our services are available throughout Ellicott City, Stevenson, Pikesville, and the surrounding areas. Visit our Locations Served page to see if we’re available to help in your location.