“I’m going to clean the bathrooms more often.”
“I’m going to eat more celery and less chocolate.”
“I’m going to force myself to run three miles every day.”
Do your New Year’s resolutions feel more like punishment than positivity? If that’s the case, resolve to make 2024 the year you set some goals you will look forward to keeping! If you need a little inspiration for empowering your caregiving journey in the new year, consider the following:
The Best New Year’s Resolutions for Family Caregivers
- Let go of the things you cannot control. So much of the time we spend worrying is the result of things that are outside of our control. Give yourself permission to step back and remind yourself that you are human, and there will be situations you cannot resolve and problems you cannot fix.
- Pay attention to your inner dialogue. Nip any self-directed words of negativity in the bud. If you realize you’re silently berating yourself for losing your patience, stop and remind yourself that you are a loving, selfless, and devoted family caregiver. Because of you, the person you love can continue living at home and enjoy the best possible quality of life. Think about how you would encourage a friend in your shoes, and turn that encouragement inward.
- Strive to find the bright side. There are certainly challenges and difficulties with caring for an older family member. Yet there are also plenty of positives to focus on instead. Rather than fret about the inclement weather that changed your plans, settle in to watch some home movies and reminisce over a cup of comforting cocoa.
- Care for yourself. You spend so much time caring for others. Set time aside each day to do something kind, just for you. This could be as simple as a bubble bath before bed, a quick run to a favorite coffee shop, or designated time each day to curl up under a cozy quilt and read.
- Accept help. Let this be the year that you realize caring for someone you love is a job that is much more effective when shared. Let family and friends know that you’d like some support, and allow them to step in to help with laundry, meals, housework, running errands—whatever would alleviate stress and allow you to achieve a healthier life balance.
At Home With You Senior Care, we’re here to help make these and any other New Year’s resolutions a reality! Our caregivers are experienced and trained in a wide variety of care needs, and can partner with you to:
- Offer friendly companionship for an older family member, including engaging conversations, puzzles, games, hobbies, exercise, and more
- Help with laundry, light housekeeping, changing bed linens, etc.
- Plan and prepare healthy, delicious meals
- Pick up groceries and run any other errands as needed
- Provide transportation and accompaniment to medical appointments and procedures or fun outings
- And much more
From the Home With You Senior Care family to yours, Happy Holidays and all the best in the new year!