We either love them or hate them, but no matter what our stance on New Year’s resolutions, there is something wonderfully refreshing about stepping into a brand new year, offering us with a clean slate and a chance to make any changes we desire to improve quality of life or even to accomplish a brand new goal or dream.
For family caregivers, meaningful and healthy New Year’s resolutions may be particularly significant, because they impact not only the caregivers themselves, but their senior loved ones. It is essential, nonetheless, to keep resolutions practical. Resolving, for instance, to get an entire eight hours of sleep every night, while taking care of a senior loved one who struggles with sundowning issues in Alzheimer’s, can be setting yourself up for disappointment.
Try instead one of the following resolutions specifically developed with family caregivers in mind:
- I shall reach out for support and help, and take assistance when offered.
- I give myself approval to say “no” to requests to prevent taking on more than I am able to handle.
- I will make my personal health (both physical and mental) a priority, making sure I set up and keep medical checkups and appointments.
- I will remind myself that self-care is not self-centered, and that by taking proper care of myself, it’s possible to take better care of my senior loved one.
- I will look closely at my energy levels, and take steps to avoid allowing myself to reach the point of exhaustion, burnout, or depression.
If the simple notion of achieving any of these goals seems too lofty to even consider, we have a remedy! Partner with Home With You Senior Care for competent, in-home respite care on a regular basis, allowing yourself much-needed time away from fulfilling the care needs of a senior loved one, while knowing he or she will receive numerous benefits as well, including increased socialization through the companionship of a trained, experienced, and compassionate caregiver.
Starting with a complimentary in-home consultation with our experts in home care in Taneytown and nearby areas, we will listen to the particular needs and challenges of the senior, and develop an individualized plan of care to fulfill those needs, through an assortment of services such as:
- Assistance with personal hygiene, dressing, ambulation and transfers
- Running errands, such as grocery shopping and picking up prescriptions
- Supported transportation to medical appointments and pleasurable outings
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Meal planning and preparation, in accordance with any prescribed dietary plans
- Engagement in conversations, reminiscing, games, exercise, and other pastimes that are of interest to the senior loved on
- And many more
If you’re looking for aging care specialists, reach out to Home With You Senior Care, a leading provider of home care in Taneytown and the surrounding areas, by calling 410-756-0959 now, and take the initial step toward achieving an innovative new goal in 2020!
From all of us at Home With You Senior Care, we wish you happy holidays and all the best in the year to come!